Thursday, October 05, 2006

We need more random acts of kindness

I went to the grocery store with a guy friend a couple weeks ago. He considers himself to be a solid 6, maybe creeping up to a 7, on the hotness scale. I bring up his looks because while we were in the store, a very hot brunette walked past us – I’m talking a 10+. She was carrying a bag of potato chips and a bottle of Merlot. As my friend and I are standing in line, he walks up beside the beautiful woman and says: “You know, I had chips and wine for lunch, and I can’t say I’d recommend it as much of a nutritional dinner.”

I thought the woman was going to rear back and slap him. On the contrary, she giggled and kept on till she could finally mutter a complete sentence. She thought it was cute, and my friend had just bravely approached a stranger without receiving any signals or eye contact. Their conversation ended with her telling him, “Have a great evening, and thanks for the kind words.”

Random acts of kindness or flirting – even if it is a cheesy pickup line that makes you laugh – are encouraged in my book. Every person wants to feel loved, appreciated and wanted – doesn’t matter if you’re single, married or divorced.

It’s a sweet gesture when someone goes out of his or her way to make you feel special. Who wouldn’t want to wear a permanent smile after someone was thoughtful enough to liven up your day? Even something as simple as a “hello” in the grocery store.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, your friend was not thinking "let me show this woman a random act of kindness" - he was looking to get some. And no, married people should not be flirting. If you need that sort of attention to feel good about yourself then something is wrong with your self-image. Flirting while married is disrespectful to your spouse even if it goes nowhere. And almost all affairs start with a little "innocent" flirting.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Married people who flirt shouldn't be married. It's a flagrant disregard of the sacred commitment to your spouse. Anyone want to start a pool on how long this marriage will last? I give it another year.

Anonymous said...

I think this random act of kindness was very sweet and cute. We do need people to be friendlier. If my other two anonymous bloggers could get their pitiful minds out of the gutter maybe they could see that this really was not going to go anywhere. Everyone speaking to you is not looking to "get some" and harmless flirting does not always lead to the breakdown of a marriage. If your marriage is strong and there is trust, a situation like this will be taken as random act of kindness and that is all. It obvious both of you have some serious issues in your houses if something as simple as this or what you call flirting will end a marriage or cause a strain. Damn! I bet your spouses can't go anywhere without calling or text messaging to check in.