Friday, December 08, 2006

Dating hiatus during holidays?

I have a friend who has totally immersed herself in dating. She has profiles on several dating Web sites and is out at parties, events and dates several times a week. The girl is committed.

And while she especially loves to date during this time of year -- "There's so many parties! And everyone is out shopping! There are people and opportunities everywhere!" (yes, her enthusiasm can be gag-inducing at times) -- she reminded me that many people don't dig it. In fact, just yesterday she was talking about people she knows (especially guys) who avoid dating during the Christmas season altogether because they don't want to have to buy a gift.

Yeah, that's kinda cold-blooded, but if you take the high road -- which I'm gonna do here -- you can understand why. When you're just starting a relationship, things are uncertain. You're still getting to know each other. You're not sure where it's going. Things you would gloss over in a longterm romance take on weighted significance in the early stages. On the topic of Christmas goodies, if you buy a gift, what are you saying? If you don't buy a gift, what are you saying? If you buy an expensive gift, what are you saying? If you buy an impersonal gift, what are you saying? See what I'm saying?

So it makes sense to avoid the drama altogether by not dating during the Christmas season. Would it really be such a bad thing? So what if you go stag to a few holiday parties -- look fabulous and practice your flirting skills. And just wait -- January is coming. Think about all the New Year's resolutions being made to get out and date more! And after a month or so of dating hibernation, all those singles will be ready to mingle!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'm not dating anyone during the holidays, it's not because I deliberately went on a dating strike...it's because there's nobody I want to date around that time. I know some people break up with their boyfriends/girlfriends because they don't want to buy a gift...but if they felt that way, they really didn't want to be with that person in the first place. Think about it: if you want to be with someone, you don't break up with him/her. So while I may go alone to parties and practice my dating skills this year, I look forward to having a boyfriend next holiday season (or even meeting a new one in the next week or so!) And I think for someone I just met, a simple card will do.

Anonymous said...

Yep. No dating during the holidays. Gotta hang with wife & family.

Bummer.