Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sexy, soulful sonnets

In honor of all the lovers out there, here's some sigh-inducing sonnets -- the first a lot sexy and a little scary, the second from The Master.

Sonnet XI
by Pablo Neruda

I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.

I hunger for your sleek laugh,
your hands the color of a savage harvest,
hunger for the pale stones of your fingernails,
I want to eat your skin like a whole almond.

I want to eat the sunbeam flaring in your lovely body,
the sovereign nose of your arrogant face,
I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes,

and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight,
hunting for you, for your hot heart,
like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue.

Sonnet 55 by William Shakespeare

Not marble, nor the gilded monuments
Of princes, shall outlive this powerful rhyme
but you shall shine more bright in these contents
Than unswept stone, besmeared with sluttish time.
When wasteful war shall statues overturn,
And broils root out the work of masonry,
Nor Mars his sword nor war's quick fire shall burn
The living record of your memory.
'Gainst death and all-oblivious enmity
Shall you pace forth; your praise shall still find room
Even if the eyes of all posterity
That wear this world out to the ending doom.
So, till the judgment that yourself arise,
You live in this, and dwell in lovers' eyes.

Happy Valentine's Day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites starts with:

There once was a man from Nantucket...

Anonymous said...

Deirdre, I am convinced that you must be the type that just loves to hear herself talk! OMG ! Just exactly what is sexy about this Sonnet Xl by Pablo Neruda?? However, knowing that you have preceived this piece to be sexy or soulful answers a lot of questions!

Anonymous said...

Dierdre, I think the poems you chose were not only beautiful and soulful, but also a wonderful little appetizer leading to the evening's main course;)

Apparently, Roses are red...would have been more appropriate and pleasing for those who still enjoy happy meals.

Happy Valentines Day!