Monday, April 20, 2009

Sick, tired and struggling

With flu season winding down, and seasonal allergies just starting to muck things up, I have begun to contemplate the implications of "in sickness and in health."

And, with a husband knocked down by flu and/or food poisoning, a daughter wrestling with a head cold that defines "snot-nosed kid," and a son whose allergy-related coughs lead to gagging that results in heaves, I'm not sure I'm cut out for the "in sickness" part of marriage and family at the moment.

It could be because I'm a leave-me-alone-until-I'm-better kind of sick person, and no one else in my family is. Maybe it's that I still haven't caught up on my sleep after spending spring break week wedged in a double bed between two bunkmates younger than 5. (Heel to the neck at midnight, anyone?) Whatever the reason, I've found myself breathing deeply and counting to 10 quite a bit before responding to my sick family's requests (whines) and needs (demands).

The pitiful countdown:

10. Please, please, please don't say "Mommy" again for 15 minutes.

9. That goes for "Mama" and the two-syllable "Mom," too.

8. Oh, that my husband would miraculously rise from his sick bed well -- and ready to engage in tag-team parenting again.

7. Please.

6. Who needs a stair-stepper? I have a two-story house and three reasons to trudge up and down all day long.

5. Only eight (Or 10. Or 12.) hours till bedtime.

4. This, too, shall pass.

3. This, too, shall pass.

2. This, too, shall pass.

1. Eyes closed. Deep breath in. Eyes open. Deep breath out.

I vow to get through spring sickness. If only I could guarantee no one in my family will get a summer cold.

3 comments:

Candace said...

Know the feeling sister...strep throat ravaged my family and of course the biggest kid(my husband) thought he had it the worst. I should invest in Advil stock.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the "leave me alone" mode of dealing with illness. I grew up in a "suffer silently with a stiff upper lip" kind of family, so whining/drama when a loved one isn't feeling well kind of tweaks me. It's fine when my husband complains a couple of times in the morning when he is hurting or feels crappy (soccer injury, neck hurting because he slept on it wrong, headache from lack of sleep), but by the 3rd time in one day, I'm "Enough already!"

marie said...

As a mom, it does seem as if you are tag teaming on the sickness front. As soon as one gets well, the other comes down with something else!! I try to make sure the kids have their vitamins and wash their hands. The rest is up to fate and motherly patience..Hopefully for this time of year we are properly stocked..LOL